So the DROID X maintenance upgrade went out to at least a few folks yesterday – likely those who are part of a test group – but XDA have gotten their hands on the files you’ll need if you want to update your phone yourself. While many believe this update is final and will continue to roll out to the rest of Verizon’s subscribers starting sometime tomorrow, we still urge you to proceed with caution. Remember that you proceed at your own risk, and that whatever happens as a result of following these instructions is no one’s responsibility but your own.
Note: There are reports that this upgrade works flawlessly when coming from system build 2.3.15 – whether or not you’re rooted – but the community is still working out a solution for those on other builds. If you are not on 2.3.15, I strongly urge you to reconsider even trying. That said, the instructions await the rest of you below, courtesy of Droid-Life.
1. Download this file to the root of your SD card: update.zip (alt link)
2. Do not unzip or rename the file.
3. With the update.zip file on your SD card and not in a folder, power off your phone.
4. Boot into recovery by holding down “Home” and then “Power” until you see an exclamation mark.
5. Then press the “Search” button and you will enter recovery.
6. Using the volume keys, highlight “apply update.zip” and press in the camera button.
7. The update will now be applied. Enjoy!
Fuente: Android Phone Fans